The crosses and bells are part of the sunlit architectural features rising above the Sonoran Desert south of Tucson. Mission San Xavier del Bac was finished in 1797 and is the oldest European structure in Arizona. Located just south of Tucson in the Tohono O'odham San Xavier Indian Reservation, the mission has served as a community and spiritual center for the Tohono O'odham people and has drawn thousands of pilgrims yearly that come to pray to Saint Francis Xavier. The San Xavier mission was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960.
March 17th, 2014
Viewed 458 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 01/31/2023 at 5:31 PM